When was the last time you backed up your photos and videos from your phone or camera?
Are they stored on your PC? Is this the only location?
Irrespective of your setup, you always should make sure you have at least 1, if not 2 backups of your most precious data and generally speaking photos and videos are for many the most important.
Backing up photos and videos can be a hassle and the space they take up can mean costly expense for hard drives or online storage.
We all love to get something for free and what I am about to explain to you is something you may or may not have come across before but believe me, it is hands down the BEST solution I have ever come across and value for money wise there is no competition.
Google Photos – https://photos.google.com/
Irrespective of who you are, how many pictures and videos you take I seriously recommend you take a look at it. I really think you will see the benefit of taking a bit of time reading and understanding how it works, because it is immensely powerful.
Now I could write loads on this but there are a couple of other who have already done this and to be honest there is little I can really add.
I am sure there are lots of great reviews out there, but one of the best I have read is here by Android Police.
The Verge & TechnoBuffalo have also put together videos that explains it all pretty well.
The key points to note is that:
- The unlimited storage applies to photos taken on a camera with a resolution of 16 megapixels or below.
- Larger files and even those at 16 megapixels or less are compressed, but there is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the compressed and original.
- You can upload the original but you only get 15GB of free storage. If you need more than this you have to pay.
- There is the web app, an app for Android, iOS, PC and Mac. They all sync so when you upload from one you can see it on another.
- You can download and share files with ease.
- There is lots of control over how when and where files are uploaded.
I uploaded over 50GB of photos and videos from my personal storage and have completed similar with work files.
I want to sum this up by saying I set this up for my mum who will admit technology baffles her. But she has been blown away how within seconds of capturing a picture on her phone it is now backed up on the web but also available to view on her iPad. Previously I always had to backup her photos, but now she does it herself, but doing nothing!